Career change

When I was a kid I went through many career changes. At first I wanted to be a doctor. A popular choice for youngsters. It was something my family took as a grain of salt, but my Grandfather was always adamant I would honestly grow up and become a doctor. Even in my teens, he'd ask me if I wanted to become a doctor. It's like the old geezer wouldn't let it go.

I grew out of the Doctor profession, finding it boring and then decided to become a Power ranger. Something I never told friends. I used to clear a space in the living room and practice flips and karate moves. I had it all mapped out. I'd train in the UK, fly to the States and audition to be the new Gold ranger. Power rangers turned to shit once that Australian girl came into the mix. I didn't like her. I didn't want her in my crew. So I quit the Power Rangers plan.

Given the penchant I'd acquired for throwing myself around, I decided a stunt man would be a good profession. I was always being dramatic and throwing myself randomly. (Yes, I know I was a f**ked up child) and I used to do this thing where I'd throw myself down the stairs. My mum almost died when I first did it. "Mum! Look at me!!" Then seconds later, I'm head first down the stairs; arms and legs are flailing everywhere. My mum was not amused, but I kept doing it anyway. I used to show my friends too. As boys do, they loved it - and asked to see it multiple times. It became an attraction.

After realizing "Actually, this is a bit dangerous to do full time!" I gave it up, and then decided I wanted to be a writer. I went through a phase at secondary school where I just used to read gaming magazines and any old book non-stop. I didn't have an outlet for writing as I do now. Blogs, forums and gaming websites weren't all that widespread back then. So it wasn't something I did much of. But something I still wanted to do. Not being able to exercise my want to write I soon wanted to move into something else.

Despite switching careers a lot as a kid, I always focused and threw myself into my choices. Something which is harder to do as you get older. Or is it? Maybe we become less brave and less fearless as we grow older, which makes us feel we can't switch. Or perhaps we're afraid to go against the grain of what society and our families dictate our careers should be at a certain point in our lives.