Yes, it's a real rabbit. Perched quite comfortably, calling shotgun on its owners shoulder. I had to double take when I saw this, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. This rabbit must've been of some importance, because the guy's other rabbit didn't get the privilege of perching on his shoulder, and instead was stuffed in his bag. The guy was just stood there waiting to cross like this shit is perfectly normal. I was convinced the rabbit was some dead, stuffed, expensive clothing accessory until I saw it's big ol' eye blink and then the guy feeding it a carrot.
Next time I go to Japan, I'm going to go one better and buy me a Raccoon and wear it on my shoulder. I'll crush some pills into its food beforehand though, so it's heavily sedated and doesn't scratch my face. And I'll have to be careful about squatting down in shops and to tie my laces too in case it falls off my shoulder, because people might think it's dead when it hits the floor and do me for animal cruelty.
Read all about it: J's first trip to Akihabara