Friendly folk #1: The man with the Converse fetish
I went into Footlocker and a guy started talking to me about Converse and we got right into what we liked about Chuck Taylors, what we don't, our favourite styles and all that shit. The conversation brought back memories of my padded hi-tops that I had to return when I came back from Japan because they'd ripped. I wasn't able to get another pair because there was no other size in the same style within the company. Being reminded of this sucked, but it was pretty funny standing an listening to a member of staff go on about how much they love Converse.
Friendly folk #2: Supper happy gay guy
My mate and I went into Uni-Qlo. He went off to look at what caught his eye (Diamond jumpers), I went off to check out the things that had caught mine (Jeans and a pink belt. Yes, I said it. A pink belt!) As I was doing my little rummage through the belt section my mate came over to me having already bought his shit, and then I saw it: The bag! A cool ass bag with a kick ass print on the front. I had to have it! So I foolishly decided I had to buy something purely to get the bag. I could've just asked for one, but whatever! I layer my clothes often, so decided to go with some plain t-shirts. Uni-Qlo had them a promotion on (3 for £9.99), so I picked up 3 (a grey, a white and a black one) and then headed for the till. I asked the dude specifically for the big Yatterman bag, and he laughed and then said they were the only bags the shop had anyway and that he was running low. He was really friendly. He chit-chatted with me about the weather (it was shit) and the t-shirt promotion (which he told me was a big hit). After I done the whole chip and pin and my receipts were in the bag, I said thanks and goodbye, and then he waved and said bye to me. The dude was as gay as Sunday. But he was super friendly and fun to talk to.
Friendly folk #3: Ginger weave girl, 'Mimi' and the girl who looked like Lindsay Lohan
I went into Schuh not even looking to buy trainers. But as is often the case: when you're not actively looking for something you want, it tends to find you. I was stood motionless smack bang in the middle of the shop, like Hikaru Utada had given birth to my baby and it was in the palms of my hands. A hot black girl with a ginger weave (which actually suited her) giggled as she walked over to me and asked if I was okay. I snapped out of my daze and asked if I could try the trainer I was holding in my size - but unfortunately for me, as fate would have it: my size wasn't in stock. So she offered to see if I could order them (which I was able to) and she directed me to the till. At the till a cute girl was dancing away to a bit of Kid Cudi. She had short hair and a gold chain round her neck which read "Mimi" (No relation to Mariah). I'm assuming this was her name, given her name badge read the same. After realizing I was stood right in front of her and waiting, she snapped of her zoned dance and asked if I was okay. I explained the situation and told her that there was a store nearer to me, and if she'd check if they had my trainer in my size there and if they'd hold it for me until the weekend when I'd be able to pick them up. She said "Sure, d'ya wanna phone 'em? You can use that phone there!" A girl who looked like Lindsay Lohan (pre-crack and Lesbian flings) overheard and came over to offer to phone the store for me - to which I said "Please!" and offered her the phone receiver. The whole time she was on hold, she was talking to me: general chit-chat and silly jokes. After being told the store would hold my trainers for me, I told her thanks, as well as 'Mimi', and also went over to 'The ginger weave girl' to express my thanks. It made a change, because I usually find Schuh staff to be really rude. I told the girls this, and that I had to chase one fat woman around the shop on one occasion just to get her to serve me, and they laughed. Having made my impression as the dude that made the girls laugh (in the good way), the dude who is polite and appreciative, I left.
Friendly folk #4: 6 foot Helen
After a long day shopping, getting drenched and smelling like wet dog, my mate and I decided to tuck in at TGI Friday's. The lady who served our table was nosey, but nice. She saw all our bags of shopping and insisted we showed her what we bought. She was particularly interested in my jeans having spotted the Levi bags. So I pulled 'em out showed her. She guessed my waist and leg size and then told me she also has to buy long legged jeans (this girl was 6 foot tall!!) She also gave me the thumbs up of approval. I didn't need it. I knew my jeans were nice. But it's always nice when a girl approves of your threads. During our meal she kept coming over and bantering, making jokes and laughing at my pulled facial expressions ("You're so animated!")as I watched my friend force down desert during declarations of "I think I'm gonna be sick and have a heart attack". I didn't get a chance to say "Bye" and thank her. But I left a tip.
So often you go through a day and are confronted with arseholes of people who just bring you down. So it's always nice when you're confronted with nice people who go out of their way to help you and put a smile on your face. It's the small things such as these that help restore your faith in the human race. And also make you wonder if you could be just a little bit nicer yourself. Because in the words of Justin Timberlake "What goes around, comes around". Positive energy and friendliness is infectious. So let's spread it a little and cause an epidemic.
I went into Footlocker and a guy started talking to me about Converse and we got right into what we liked about Chuck Taylors, what we don't, our favourite styles and all that shit. The conversation brought back memories of my padded hi-tops that I had to return when I came back from Japan because they'd ripped. I wasn't able to get another pair because there was no other size in the same style within the company. Being reminded of this sucked, but it was pretty funny standing an listening to a member of staff go on about how much they love Converse.
Friendly folk #2: Supper happy gay guy
My mate and I went into Uni-Qlo. He went off to look at what caught his eye (Diamond jumpers), I went off to check out the things that had caught mine (Jeans and a pink belt. Yes, I said it. A pink belt!) As I was doing my little rummage through the belt section my mate came over to me having already bought his shit, and then I saw it: The bag! A cool ass bag with a kick ass print on the front. I had to have it! So I foolishly decided I had to buy something purely to get the bag. I could've just asked for one, but whatever! I layer my clothes often, so decided to go with some plain t-shirts. Uni-Qlo had them a promotion on (3 for £9.99), so I picked up 3 (a grey, a white and a black one) and then headed for the till. I asked the dude specifically for the big Yatterman bag, and he laughed and then said they were the only bags the shop had anyway and that he was running low. He was really friendly. He chit-chatted with me about the weather (it was shit) and the t-shirt promotion (which he told me was a big hit). After I done the whole chip and pin and my receipts were in the bag, I said thanks and goodbye, and then he waved and said bye to me. The dude was as gay as Sunday. But he was super friendly and fun to talk to.
Friendly folk #3: Ginger weave girl, 'Mimi' and the girl who looked like Lindsay Lohan
I went into Schuh not even looking to buy trainers. But as is often the case: when you're not actively looking for something you want, it tends to find you. I was stood motionless smack bang in the middle of the shop, like Hikaru Utada had given birth to my baby and it was in the palms of my hands. A hot black girl with a ginger weave (which actually suited her) giggled as she walked over to me and asked if I was okay. I snapped out of my daze and asked if I could try the trainer I was holding in my size - but unfortunately for me, as fate would have it: my size wasn't in stock. So she offered to see if I could order them (which I was able to) and she directed me to the till. At the till a cute girl was dancing away to a bit of Kid Cudi. She had short hair and a gold chain round her neck which read "Mimi" (No relation to Mariah). I'm assuming this was her name, given her name badge read the same. After realizing I was stood right in front of her and waiting, she snapped of her zoned dance and asked if I was okay. I explained the situation and told her that there was a store nearer to me, and if she'd check if they had my trainer in my size there and if they'd hold it for me until the weekend when I'd be able to pick them up. She said "Sure, d'ya wanna phone 'em? You can use that phone there!" A girl who looked like Lindsay Lohan (pre-crack and Lesbian flings) overheard and came over to offer to phone the store for me - to which I said "Please!" and offered her the phone receiver. The whole time she was on hold, she was talking to me: general chit-chat and silly jokes. After being told the store would hold my trainers for me, I told her thanks, as well as 'Mimi', and also went over to 'The ginger weave girl' to express my thanks. It made a change, because I usually find Schuh staff to be really rude. I told the girls this, and that I had to chase one fat woman around the shop on one occasion just to get her to serve me, and they laughed. Having made my impression as the dude that made the girls laugh (in the good way), the dude who is polite and appreciative, I left.
Friendly folk #4: 6 foot Helen
After a long day shopping, getting drenched and smelling like wet dog, my mate and I decided to tuck in at TGI Friday's. The lady who served our table was nosey, but nice. She saw all our bags of shopping and insisted we showed her what we bought. She was particularly interested in my jeans having spotted the Levi bags. So I pulled 'em out showed her. She guessed my waist and leg size and then told me she also has to buy long legged jeans (this girl was 6 foot tall!!) She also gave me the thumbs up of approval. I didn't need it. I knew my jeans were nice. But it's always nice when a girl approves of your threads. During our meal she kept coming over and bantering, making jokes and laughing at my pulled facial expressions ("You're so animated!")as I watched my friend force down desert during declarations of "I think I'm gonna be sick and have a heart attack". I didn't get a chance to say "Bye" and thank her. But I left a tip.
So often you go through a day and are confronted with arseholes of people who just bring you down. So it's always nice when you're confronted with nice people who go out of their way to help you and put a smile on your face. It's the small things such as these that help restore your faith in the human race. And also make you wonder if you could be just a little bit nicer yourself. Because in the words of Justin Timberlake "What goes around, comes around". Positive energy and friendliness is infectious. So let's spread it a little and cause an epidemic.