J in Japan: Sensō-ji

The lanterned path to the Sensō-ji temple
In Asakusa lies one of the countries most famous temples: The Sensō-ji temple. Holiday goers travel miles to flock to this place. It's one of Japan's many tourist attractions - so match Japan's bustling streets with shit loads of tourists, and it goes without saying that this placed gets PACKED on a regular basis. Before you reach the temple you have a long walk to endure. The walk is lined with many stalls selling cool (albeit a little overpriced) souvenirs and trinkets. Then you have the temple, which stands tall. Intimidating, yet also amazing, stunning and inviting. Decorated with pagoda's, a large urn of incense burning and giant lanterns. The whole thing is just a spectacle. For gamers it'll be a bit of a revelation: that those beat 'em up stages set in Japan were based on something real and not some made up architecture. Big lanterns and tall pagoda's are very much REAL!

The giant lantern The markets and stall leading up to the temple. The sweet sake stand here, ROCKS!
YOne of the several towering Pagoda's. These are REAL. Not just made up to decorate stages in beat 'em ups. Inside of the temple.

The Sensō-ji temple was amazing to see. I was feeling a bit pissed off and annoyed on the first visit: having one of those moments where I really wanted to hear my Dad's voice. I wasn't missing him, but just really wanted to just hear his voice. So I wandered off on my own for a bit and began taking pictures on my phone and sending them to him, to which he texted right back - which made me feel a bit better. I also got myself some sweet sake which seemed to temporarily do the trick. I'm not too hot on sake. The taste is so bitter. But sweet sake hit the spot NICELY. I wanted to go back for a second, third, fourth and fifth cup. Shoot, I wanted to plunge my head into the bowl and guzzle. But I didn't want the cute girls serving the stuff to think I was an alcoholic.

After pounding the pavements around the main temple itself, it was time to head inside. I didn't think I'd be allowed, but the man at the entrance outstretched his arm gesturing me in, so I politely bowed and obliged. In the main temple was a small golden sanctum where people go in to kneel and pray. The chukogujin snuck up behind me and headed on in to pray. I just stood by the side and watched. It was really surreal. Despite the hustle and bustle outside and the temple being smack in Tokyo: the inside of the temple was so quiet and calming. It was almost like time was standing still. It really was an amazing experience. One I enjoyed so much that I ended up visiting the temple a second time.

Even if temples and that good stuff isn't your thing, the Sensō-ji is worth checking out for the market stalls. You'll find some really cool stuff. Whether it's souvenirs to take back home, great food, sexy sweet sake (Yum!), Katana's (Yes. Real ones like what Leonardo in the Ninja Turtles has) and traditional robes.