Who you know

I went out for some drinks with a couple of peeps from work last week. And as we made our way to a table at the bar I noticed the guy sat one of the tables was a guy we used to work with. I looked up and caught him square in the eyes, and then just proceeded to pull up some chairs to our table. I could not stand the dude when we used to work together. I made no secret of it, and the feeling was mutual on his part; I'm sure. So I just completely blanked him. Not so much as a smile, a nod or a gesture to the effect of "Hello". Terrible of me to do. But I really didn't care. I disliked him that much.

Once we were all at our table, some of the others began to notice and bicker "Ain't that what's his face?" Not long after realizing that we was full of aware of his presence and that there was an awkwardness in the air, he put his phone to his ear and left followed by his friends. What are the odds that he was not on a call? Pretty high I'd say.

Oddly enough - a good hour or so later we all saw another familiar face. She was the sister of an ex-colleague. We'd had numerous nights out together, and 'ex-colleague' always used to bring her sister along. We all got along great and still keep in contact now. We hadn't seen her for a while; so the second we all saw each we exchanged hello's, hugs, accounts of what we'd been up to and that we should 'Facebook'. We even briefly arranged to go out and get drunk-as-hell after New years'.

It's times like these you realize who it is you really have time for. And exactly the kinds of relationships you have with people.