J in Japan ~ a random moment: A shrine in a subway station

A shrine in a subway station...
Whilst walking through a subway station in Asakusa, I came across these elaborately adorned things. I took a picture of them because they looked cool, kinda important and expensive. (Tempered glass enclosure give off that feel). But I wasn't sure what they were exactly. A woman cut me the most disgusted look when she saw me take a picture. So I'm guessing these objects behind glass were of some great importance. So important that nobody is really supposed to take pictures. Either that, or she hates gaijin. If I were to guess a bet, it'd be the latter.

Whilst I wasn't 100% sure of what it was I was taking a picture of. I did notice that it looked a lot like the giant decorative objects which men carry between them during Japanese parades. And a bit of Googling indicated that this is indeed the case. More specifically 'the thing' I took a picture of is a Mikoshii: a portable shrine.

The one in this picture possibly holds some significance or symbolism, but I have no clue what it is. Sure looks nice though! You could not have something this big, this gold, and this nice looking in a London subway station. It would get pissed on, gratified on, and vandalized with the quickness.