A PlayStation 3 is dead

A friend in need of a new PS3 (photo taken by Random J ;P)
My friend sent me this text a couple of days ago. A PlayStation 3 is down people. Dead in a flurry of slow motor grinds and a flashing yellow light.

I feel for my friend, because he was in the middle of playing Final Fantasy XIII. It was only the night before his PS3 conked out that we were talking about the game, and I was telling him how to beat Bartandelus in Oerba. And then plop. His PS3 dies.

The PlayStation 3's failure rate is no where near as bad as the Xbox 360's. I think the 360 has to be one of the most faulty ass piece of hardware in the world. But quite a few PS3 owners have had their system brick due to the yellow light of death - something that gamers shared with the world via YouTube not long after the PlayStation 3 first launched.

I can't see Sony taking the console in and fixing it for free. I remember the when Watchdog covered the case, and Sony didn't give a shit and pretty much took a No warranty, no free fix stance; but they should at least acknowledge the fault is a manufacturing fault. And if the system is a few months out of warranty, they should fix it. Sony don't have to, and they're well within their means not to. But they should. I'll never forget how Nintendo fixed my Wii for free when it was way over warranty.

My condolences go out to my friend. This is exactly the reason why I installed the third disc of Final Fantasy XIII. To stop my console grinding and hold off the red rings until I'm done with the game.