I hate going out for drinks on an evening where I have work the following morning. I'm one of those cerebrally (not a real word. I really don't care) un-trained sapient beings who is unable to have a good time without the thought of work the next day hanging over their head. Well, that's not completely true. I can...after a while. But I need to be fully engaged to the point where I'm not thinking about anything other than what's happening within the moment. If the atmosphere and the company are crap, then my mind wanders. And all I think to myself Why am I here? I want to go home. Shit, I've got work tomorrow. I may sound like a spoil sport. But you can suck on somebody's toe. Because I know some of you are the same.
My work place doesn't need much of an excuse to go out for drinks at our local bar (conveniently within the same building). Somebody found a missing wheel to one of the chairs which went missing 6 months ago. Let's go for drinks! It's their birthday. Let's go for drinks! He saved a word document. Let's go for drinks. Oh, it's her last day. Let's go for drinks! It's a surprise anybody gets any work done, when every thing is celebrated with a drink. Sometimes I wonder if I work with a bunch of alcoholics. I'm thinking that I do. I was almost crucified the last time I went out with the alcoholic-massive and ordered an orange juice, because I didn't opt for a bottle of wine or a bowl full of vodka with a straw like everybody else (Note: Some bitches were actually drinking wine straight out of the bottle).
Aside from the subtle (neon signed) alcoholism lingering around my work office like the waft of piss from a tramp, everybody seems to have this thing about going out for drinks on a weekend which isn't Friday - even thought none of the people in the office have plans on a Friday evening. You ask 'em So what are you doing this evening? They reply Awww, nothing. And in my head I'm thinking, So tell me again why we went out for drinks on a damn Tuesday and not a Friday when we could put some company cards to use, expense the fuck out of some tabs and not have anybody worry about who may call in sick the next day!? (there's always one).
I guess midweek drinking should not come as a surprise. It is after all, how true alcoholics roll.
Now if you;'ll excuse me. I'm going to sit on my balcony on this fine Thursday evening and swirl my third glass of brandy in violet hue of sunset.
My work place doesn't need much of an excuse to go out for drinks at our local bar (conveniently within the same building). Somebody found a missing wheel to one of the chairs which went missing 6 months ago. Let's go for drinks! It's their birthday. Let's go for drinks! He saved a word document. Let's go for drinks. Oh, it's her last day. Let's go for drinks! It's a surprise anybody gets any work done, when every thing is celebrated with a drink. Sometimes I wonder if I work with a bunch of alcoholics. I'm thinking that I do. I was almost crucified the last time I went out with the alcoholic-massive and ordered an orange juice, because I didn't opt for a bottle of wine or a bowl full of vodka with a straw like everybody else (Note: Some bitches were actually drinking wine straight out of the bottle).
Aside from the subtle (neon signed) alcoholism lingering around my work office like the waft of piss from a tramp, everybody seems to have this thing about going out for drinks on a weekend which isn't Friday - even thought none of the people in the office have plans on a Friday evening. You ask 'em So what are you doing this evening? They reply Awww, nothing. And in my head I'm thinking, So tell me again why we went out for drinks on a damn Tuesday and not a Friday when we could put some company cards to use, expense the fuck out of some tabs and not have anybody worry about who may call in sick the next day!? (there's always one).
I guess midweek drinking should not come as a surprise. It is after all, how true alcoholics roll.
Now if you;'ll excuse me. I'm going to sit on my balcony on this fine Thursday evening and swirl my third glass of brandy in violet hue of sunset.