
Nintendo held their Zelda symphony at the Hammersmith HMV Apollo, The HMV (what the fuck is the name of that place now!?). And as much as what I'm about to say will make you want to projectile vomit your weetabix, it has to be said. The night was magical. All I was missing was an annoying fairy floating around my shoulder. Although I happened to have the next best thing, by having the UK equivalent of the Hip hop gamer sat behind me barking the name of every song the orchestra played. N***a, we have programs! And despite this he still got names of the song's wrong. Hellooooooooo! Listen!!! But I digress. He is a fan of The legend of Zelda, just like me. And his enthusiasm for the music and the spectacle that was the Zelda symphony is a mutuality he, I and everybody in the audience shared. In this one moment, we were all one and the same.
As is the case with any concert / gig, you have a wishlist of songs you want to hear. Mine were as follows...
I also tweeted my followers to ask them which songs they'd want the symphony to play, and the most popular 2 choices were "Bolero of fire" and "Gerudo valley" from Ocarina of time. Good news all 'round. The Zelda symphony played them all. EVERY FUCKING ONE! The Zelda symphony went through so many both staple (and obscure) pieces from the series, that I'm sat wondering which pieces from The Legend of Zelda the symphony missed...and I don't think they did. The handheld Zelda's didn't get much of a look in and Link's awakening in particular got no love. But I didn't like that game anyway, let alone remember the music from it, so that shit is no skin off my nose. But my heart piece does go out to those who wanted to hear music from that game done BIG at the Zelda symphony. Although I doubt they went home disappointed given how so-magical-Disney-wishes-they-could-put-a-ring-on-it the whole event was.
I won't go through every single piece played at the Zelda symphony. (Although the stan part of me that got overly emotional at each and every piece really wants to). I will instead focus on the pieces which really stood out for me and are still playing in my head now.
Princess Zelda's theme
I had always said that I would be fighting back tears like a bitch when this kicked off and I did just that. Fought back tears. The orchestra managed to capture serenity, regalness and hints of ominousness all in one. The music felt as though it was taking you through the whole of Zelda's journey. From being an innocent child, to her discovery of purpose, to a woman who has accepted her destiny. This sounds as corny as fuck. But it's genuinely what I felt when the string section got going. Just when you thought this theme could not be taken to another level, the Zelda symphony leveled up. They leveled the shit up out of it.
2 word verdict: Zeldasdatbitch amazing
Dragon roost island
With the prominent feature of this piece being a guitar and a guitar not being a part of an orchestra, I did wonder how they'd alter the arrangement. The original theme is akin to a guy sat on a stool by some Fajita shack in a sombrero just strumming away on his guitar. Ambient and folk like. The symphony rendition on the other hand was big. Huge. Larger than life. If the original was set to the locale and retreatful peaceful nature of Dragon roost island, then the symphonic version is a representation of Medli and Prince Komali's destined futures.
2 word verdict: Kill yo'self
Saria's theme
One of Ocarina of time's most memorable pieces of music and the one that everybody loves (If you don't love this theme, then go throw yourself down some stairs please). The orchestral arrangement stayed pretty true to the original...up unto a point. Things started off very normal, but then built into a grand sweeping piece with flourishes, flairs and little nuances which had you go all giddy and be transported into that moment when you encountered the lost woods for the very first time. The Zelda symphony took a head bopping ditty and spun it into a gloriously embellished piece fit for a forest sage.
2 word verdict: Saria's booty
Gerudo valley
This was just amazing on every level. I got chills up and down my spine. CHILLS! I actually forgot for the whole duration of this song that my seat was soaked in dirt and my foot was stuck to what had to either have been chewing gum or somebody's semen. There were lots of additional sections to this piece which I don't remember from the original composition, but I'm not hating. Just pure notifying and appreciating. Everything about this rendition was big, big and bigger. "Gerudo valley" was always a masterpiece. But the symphony took it to Hollywood big dawg score masterpiece proportions. I farted this shit was so good. Slipped right out.
2 word verdict: Fucking powerful
Great fairy's fountain theme
When I looked at the program and saw this piece, I was in two minds. It's one of The legend of Zelda's most notable and memorable pieces, given that it plays at the start of every game and the melody never once changes between them. But an orchestral version? Wouldn't it seem a bit much given the simplicity of the piece? The lights dimmed. The spotlight shone on the harpists. And the second they began to play, those chills worked their way back up and down my spine and I went cold. The harp playing was stunningly beautiful - not a term I ever use, but it's the only way to describe it. As they played together, this amazing otherworldly sense permeated the entire Apollo. Their rendition touched on this ethereal sense of beauty and magic which the original compositions in the games touch on, but never quite pull off. After being frozen to the core by the beauty of the harps, the rest of the orchestra crept in for a subtle and sweeping finale to what was simply (here comes that world again...) magic.
The harp soloists received a much deserved standing ovation for their stunning harp skillz and delivering what is one of the series most well known and staple pieces. God help these women if they ever get their fingers caught in a door.
2 word verdict: Fucking beautiful
The Wind waker symphonic movement
The wind waker is one of my fave Zelda soundtrack hands down. And the orchestal medley highlighted just how strong a sound track it is. From the majestic "Dragoon roost island", to the charming theme of "Outset island" and the bountiful "Great sea". Koji's compositions for The wind waker were so rich and different from anything he'd done before. With a greater emphasis on percussion and Celtic instrumentation's, I did wonder how many of The Wind waker's pieces would work. Like a charm is the answer. Like a damn charm. "Molgera's theme" (shockingly) was the weakest Link. Something which pained me slightly, as this was my favourite piece of music from The Wind waker soundtrack. I think this was largely because the arrangement was kept the same as the original and not really re-tweaked to facilitate the full use of an orchestra. The wind section also had some trouble keeping in time at the very start. But all in all, The wind waker medley was a testament to just how brilliant a sound track it was. And for a game so colourful and cutesy, the music packs a real punch. The "Final battle with Ganondorf" theme was menacing and hard hitting as is, but orchestrated it damn knew took the roof of the Apollo.
2 word verdict: My life
OMFG. It's Koji Kondo!!
As the conductor said her piece and gave her thanks after the orchestra played (what we thought was) their final piece, she began to introduce somebody and we all thought she'd bring Eiji Aonuma back out to close the show with a speech [Note: He was brought out at the start to introduce the Zelda symphony] But much to everybody's surprise, the name Koji Kondo was spoken, and out he walks onto the stage. KOJI "KING" KONDO!! I damn near had a heart attack and shat myself! He took center stage (okay, more like hid behind a curtain on stage right) and spoke in English LIKE A BOSS, expressing his joy at the turnout and for there to be a Zelda symphony in honour of his music, which he dedicated to all of the fans. He then sat down at the piano to play "Grandma's theme" from The Wind waker (which always reminds me of Michael Jackson's "Ben"). Koji haters can go to hell. This man played the shit out of this theme and his English is good too. He didn't even try to fall back on that Japanese how Eiji Aonuma did. No disrespect to Mr. Aonuma. I still love that man and want him to adopt me and call me his chocolate rupee.
2 word verdict: Shit. Wow.
The legend of Zelda has always been one of my favourite soundtracks. But the symphony made me realize not just how iconic the music of the series is, but how it's managed to touch so many other fans of the series like myself. I tend to forget when I'm sat listening to songs from the soundtrack or playing a Zelda game and have it on pause for long periods of time to take in the music, that I'm not the only one in the world being imprinted with the memories of the music from the game. Oh, it's a weird thing. I'm a sad case. Nobody else does this. But others do. And seeing the rapturous reception in the Apollo when the opening keys of a memorable piece of Zelda music played or the final note capped of a piece - it was clear that the Zelda soundtrack was a soundtrack that held a place in many people's hearts and it meant something to everybody. You couldn't help but be moved by the renditions of the music. Not only because of the nostalgic factor, but because you were hearing many of your favourite pieces of Zelda music played in the form they were always meant to be experienced - live, orchestral and in the company of others who appreciate it just as much as you do as a long standing fan of the series.
Conductor Eímear Noone and The Royal Philharmonic concert orchestra did an amazing job. Us gaming crowds can be fickle, hard to please bastards. But by golly did these guys and girls in the orchestra win us over. They brought every piece to life and truly captured the essences of what has made Koji Kondo's compositions so amazing, time transcending and heart warming to the fans of the series. I was moved in a way I was not expecting to be. And developed (if it's even possible) a greater appreciation for the music of the series and my love of orchestra's.
2 word verdict: Fucking triumph.
As is the case with any concert / gig, you have a wishlist of songs you want to hear. Mine were as follows...
- "Molgera" and "Dragon roost island" from The Wind waker
- "Nocturne of shadow" from Ocarina of time
- "The dark world overtheme" and "The lost woods" from Link to the past
- "Ganon's theme" from every damn Zelda game
I also tweeted my followers to ask them which songs they'd want the symphony to play, and the most popular 2 choices were "Bolero of fire" and "Gerudo valley" from Ocarina of time. Good news all 'round. The Zelda symphony played them all. EVERY FUCKING ONE! The Zelda symphony went through so many both staple (and obscure) pieces from the series, that I'm sat wondering which pieces from The Legend of Zelda the symphony missed...and I don't think they did. The handheld Zelda's didn't get much of a look in and Link's awakening in particular got no love. But I didn't like that game anyway, let alone remember the music from it, so that shit is no skin off my nose. But my heart piece does go out to those who wanted to hear music from that game done BIG at the Zelda symphony. Although I doubt they went home disappointed given how so-magical-Disney-wishes-they-could-put-a-ring-on-it the whole event was.

I won't go through every single piece played at the Zelda symphony. (Although the stan part of me that got overly emotional at each and every piece really wants to). I will instead focus on the pieces which really stood out for me and are still playing in my head now.
Princess Zelda's theme
I had always said that I would be fighting back tears like a bitch when this kicked off and I did just that. Fought back tears. The orchestra managed to capture serenity, regalness and hints of ominousness all in one. The music felt as though it was taking you through the whole of Zelda's journey. From being an innocent child, to her discovery of purpose, to a woman who has accepted her destiny. This sounds as corny as fuck. But it's genuinely what I felt when the string section got going. Just when you thought this theme could not be taken to another level, the Zelda symphony leveled up. They leveled the shit up out of it.
2 word verdict: Zeldasdatbitch amazing
Dragon roost island
With the prominent feature of this piece being a guitar and a guitar not being a part of an orchestra, I did wonder how they'd alter the arrangement. The original theme is akin to a guy sat on a stool by some Fajita shack in a sombrero just strumming away on his guitar. Ambient and folk like. The symphony rendition on the other hand was big. Huge. Larger than life. If the original was set to the locale and retreatful peaceful nature of Dragon roost island, then the symphonic version is a representation of Medli and Prince Komali's destined futures.
2 word verdict: Kill yo'self
Saria's theme
One of Ocarina of time's most memorable pieces of music and the one that everybody loves (If you don't love this theme, then go throw yourself down some stairs please). The orchestral arrangement stayed pretty true to the original...up unto a point. Things started off very normal, but then built into a grand sweeping piece with flourishes, flairs and little nuances which had you go all giddy and be transported into that moment when you encountered the lost woods for the very first time. The Zelda symphony took a head bopping ditty and spun it into a gloriously embellished piece fit for a forest sage.
2 word verdict: Saria's booty
Gerudo valley
This was just amazing on every level. I got chills up and down my spine. CHILLS! I actually forgot for the whole duration of this song that my seat was soaked in dirt and my foot was stuck to what had to either have been chewing gum or somebody's semen. There were lots of additional sections to this piece which I don't remember from the original composition, but I'm not hating. Just pure notifying and appreciating. Everything about this rendition was big, big and bigger. "Gerudo valley" was always a masterpiece. But the symphony took it to Hollywood big dawg score masterpiece proportions. I farted this shit was so good. Slipped right out.
2 word verdict: Fucking powerful

Great fairy's fountain theme
When I looked at the program and saw this piece, I was in two minds. It's one of The legend of Zelda's most notable and memorable pieces, given that it plays at the start of every game and the melody never once changes between them. But an orchestral version? Wouldn't it seem a bit much given the simplicity of the piece? The lights dimmed. The spotlight shone on the harpists. And the second they began to play, those chills worked their way back up and down my spine and I went cold. The harp playing was stunningly beautiful - not a term I ever use, but it's the only way to describe it. As they played together, this amazing otherworldly sense permeated the entire Apollo. Their rendition touched on this ethereal sense of beauty and magic which the original compositions in the games touch on, but never quite pull off. After being frozen to the core by the beauty of the harps, the rest of the orchestra crept in for a subtle and sweeping finale to what was simply (here comes that world again...) magic.
The harp soloists received a much deserved standing ovation for their stunning harp skillz and delivering what is one of the series most well known and staple pieces. God help these women if they ever get their fingers caught in a door.
2 word verdict: Fucking beautiful
The Wind waker symphonic movement
The wind waker is one of my fave Zelda soundtrack hands down. And the orchestal medley highlighted just how strong a sound track it is. From the majestic "Dragoon roost island", to the charming theme of "Outset island" and the bountiful "Great sea". Koji's compositions for The wind waker were so rich and different from anything he'd done before. With a greater emphasis on percussion and Celtic instrumentation's, I did wonder how many of The Wind waker's pieces would work. Like a charm is the answer. Like a damn charm. "Molgera's theme" (shockingly) was the weakest Link. Something which pained me slightly, as this was my favourite piece of music from The Wind waker soundtrack. I think this was largely because the arrangement was kept the same as the original and not really re-tweaked to facilitate the full use of an orchestra. The wind section also had some trouble keeping in time at the very start. But all in all, The wind waker medley was a testament to just how brilliant a sound track it was. And for a game so colourful and cutesy, the music packs a real punch. The "Final battle with Ganondorf" theme was menacing and hard hitting as is, but orchestrated it damn knew took the roof of the Apollo.
2 word verdict: My life
OMFG. It's Koji Kondo!!
As the conductor said her piece and gave her thanks after the orchestra played (what we thought was) their final piece, she began to introduce somebody and we all thought she'd bring Eiji Aonuma back out to close the show with a speech [Note: He was brought out at the start to introduce the Zelda symphony] But much to everybody's surprise, the name Koji Kondo was spoken, and out he walks onto the stage. KOJI "KING" KONDO!! I damn near had a heart attack and shat myself! He took center stage (okay, more like hid behind a curtain on stage right) and spoke in English LIKE A BOSS, expressing his joy at the turnout and for there to be a Zelda symphony in honour of his music, which he dedicated to all of the fans. He then sat down at the piano to play "Grandma's theme" from The Wind waker (which always reminds me of Michael Jackson's "Ben"). Koji haters can go to hell. This man played the shit out of this theme and his English is good too. He didn't even try to fall back on that Japanese how Eiji Aonuma did. No disrespect to Mr. Aonuma. I still love that man and want him to adopt me and call me his chocolate rupee.
2 word verdict: Shit. Wow.

The legend of Zelda has always been one of my favourite soundtracks. But the symphony made me realize not just how iconic the music of the series is, but how it's managed to touch so many other fans of the series like myself. I tend to forget when I'm sat listening to songs from the soundtrack or playing a Zelda game and have it on pause for long periods of time to take in the music, that I'm not the only one in the world being imprinted with the memories of the music from the game. Oh, it's a weird thing. I'm a sad case. Nobody else does this. But others do. And seeing the rapturous reception in the Apollo when the opening keys of a memorable piece of Zelda music played or the final note capped of a piece - it was clear that the Zelda soundtrack was a soundtrack that held a place in many people's hearts and it meant something to everybody. You couldn't help but be moved by the renditions of the music. Not only because of the nostalgic factor, but because you were hearing many of your favourite pieces of Zelda music played in the form they were always meant to be experienced - live, orchestral and in the company of others who appreciate it just as much as you do as a long standing fan of the series.
Conductor Eímear Noone and The Royal Philharmonic concert orchestra did an amazing job. Us gaming crowds can be fickle, hard to please bastards. But by golly did these guys and girls in the orchestra win us over. They brought every piece to life and truly captured the essences of what has made Koji Kondo's compositions so amazing, time transcending and heart warming to the fans of the series. I was moved in a way I was not expecting to be. And developed (if it's even possible) a greater appreciation for the music of the series and my love of orchestra's.
2 word verdict: Fucking triumph.