
This picture above is a rubbish shot from the rubbish seat I had at Distant worlds. The price I pay for buying my ticket the day after they went on sale and not on the exact hour. Why can't gamers try and give each other a chance for fucks sake?!
With my black pot and kettle set placed firmly on the mantle piece, I shall proceed to talk you through my experience at the world famed Distant worlds event - which celebrates the music of the Final Fantasy series and its God like composer (my Uncle in the alternate realm where I am a Power ranger with an ocarina playing pet Panda named Punaynay) Nobuo Uematsu.
Uematsu's music IS Final Fantasy. Synonymous and symbolic. Uematsu and Final Fantasy can never exist without one another. Even with Uematsu having nothing to do with a Final Fantasy soundtrack, his compositions are a part of the game. His legacy shapes the soundtracks which others go on to create. And it's only when you listen to his music played live through an orchestra that you truly begin to realize just how much of an influence his music has had on not just Final Fantasy as a franchise, but your very own playing experience. Uematsu's music is not only the soundtrack to the games, but our playing experiences.
With Final Fantasy being such a large series with so many pieces of music to its name, it was a given that not everybody's wish list of tracks would be fulfilled. And that the usual suspects and most popular pieces will dominate much of the set list. Which means we got "J.E.N.O.V.A", "Aeris' theme", "Liberi Fatali", "Eyes on me" and "Zanarkand". Much of the set-list was pretty much dominated by Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII - which is what you'd expect really. So I'll give special spotlights to the pieces which stood out for me - for both reasons good and bad.
Final Fantasy VIII's Battle theme
Sounded amazing. Made me want to run home and play the game for the forth time. It's all I can say.
Liberi Fatali
The perfect way to start the concert. Hearing this live gave me chills. Such a powerful piece which never fails to move me, even 10 years on from when I first heard it. Hearing it live made me appreciate just how amazing a composer Nobuo Uematsu is. Up until the release of Final Fantasy VIII no game had featured a piece of music as grand in scale as this. There are many negative things you could say about Final Fantasy VIII, but the intro and its epicness are not one of them.

Dancing mad
Throughout the beginning section of the concert I noticed a guy sat at an organ. Me having a complete scatter brain and not always focusing on what I should be (in this case, the music) I couldn't help but fixate on him. I asked myself What the fuck is he doing here? He's not doing anything! Did he manage to bag an exclusive stage VIP seat with his wife? I cussed this little old man inside out and considered asking one of the Royal Albert hall ushers to escort him the fuck out. But four symphonic movements after him taking his seat at the organ, Arnie announced that the upcoming piece isn't a piece the orchestra are able to play everywhere, because not every venue Distant worlds visits has an organ. Enter...the relevance of the organ player. I sat with my game face on wondering exactly how relevant this organ was, but then it happened. The organ player started to play. He not only played the organ. He played the absolute shit out of that organ like his next pension payment and the life of his wife (who was on hand to turn the pages of the music sheets) depended on it. He shut me right up. He played the fuck out of "Dancing mad". I think he personally deserved a standing ovation and a rose thrown at him on stage, but nobody else seemed to think so.
Maria's theme
This song was too big and too much for the SNES. This much was clear from the very first time we all heard the 16-bit sound system struggle like fuck with this piece. It astounds me even now how my n***a Nobuo managed to get the SNES to even agree to play this shit. So to hear this performed by live vocalists and a brilliant orchestra led by an outstanding conductor was quite put simply, fucking awesome. "Maria's theme" is the archetypal Uematsu piece, because many of his subsequent compositions were drawn from this piece in some form or other. Particularly Final Fantasy VII's.
Blinded by Light
One of my favourite pieces of music from Final Fantasy is "Blinded by Light". This may be a little blasphemous, given that it isn't composed by the living legend that is Nobuo Uematsu, but I don't give a shit. The song is everything. So when it was announced that the orchestra were going to play it, I jumped out of my seat and squealed like a Chocobo.
The timpani was struck. The bass section and the cello's began to bow sharp quick notes and then the horn section came in with the melody. Everything was sounding spot on. I was on the edge of my seat in a state of near ecstasy, glee and the verge of premature ejaculation. But then it happened. The main section of the song we all know and love came in. At this point I should have had soiled underwear, but instead I was confused. Let down. Upset. A whole section of the piece was cut. The violin's could barely be heard. And that sense of energy that made the original composition so wonderfully dynamic, was completely void. I put my hand to my face; trying not to cry tears of disappointment and frustration, and make out what the fuck happened. Given how amazing and brilliantly arranged every other piece of music on the night was, I can't chalk this up to it just being a faux pas moment. So instead, I'm going to make a stretch judgment that perhaps somebody gave "Blinded by Light" a slap dash orchestral arrangement because it wasn't a piece of Uematsu's work. This is the only explanation I can give, as the original sounds orchestral as it is, so it's not like much has to really be changed and re-arranged. Yet, it was and was done so for the worst. Hamauzu Masashi got shitted on. Royally.
J.E.N.O.V.A
The one piece of music from VII I loved the most. I knew it would get played, but I wasn't truly prepared for how awesome it would sound. "J.E.N.O.V.A" orchestrated slayed my fucking life. Struck it dead. With the original version in game having more of an electronic, synth heavy arrangement as opposed to an orchestral one the sound is different. Less 80's, less dance driven, but with the same urgency and danger; made grander in scale because of an orchestra playing it. I cried. I went cold.
One of my friends and I had spoken about how we pretty much only bought tickets to hear just this. Here is our exchange of texts during the magical moment this amazing piece kicked off.

Distant worlds was a brilliant tribute to Uematsu and his musical legacy which has shaped the series of Final Fantasy. It was brilliant to hear his work as he had clearly intended for it to be heard. It's a testament to his composing skills that he was able to compose the pieces he did and keep them so rich and layered despite system limitations. Hearing pieces from Final Fantasy I - VI left many fans in awe, as it was the first time they'd heard the music in its richest form - with every note, every nuance and every instrument being played as Uematsu had probably heard it countless times in his mind before a time would come when the music could be fully realized and come truly to life with a live orchestra.
One winged angel
The famed piece from THAT Final Fantasy game. The piece of music that everybody knows, whether they've played the game or not, or have no clue who the fuck Sephiroth is. "One winged angel" has been somewhat overused and overplayed over the years, but it does nothing to detract from the magnificence of hearing it performed by a live choir and orchestra, with Uematsu himself taking a spot on the stage to sing ♪ Bear swore, he dirty. She no hair. Let me think! This ones, bare titties. See no hair, let me think. Shave it off!! ♪ The most epic and fitting way to end the night. Providing everybody with a lingering after thought of just how amazing a composer Uematsu is, in case anybody in attendance was in any form of doubt.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra did a wonderful job and Arnie Roth's conducting was spot on. Aside from that moment when I'm sure he deliberately conducted like poo for "Blinded by Light". Arnie had announced that Distant worlds would be back on November 17th and therefore, so will I.
With my black pot and kettle set placed firmly on the mantle piece, I shall proceed to talk you through my experience at the world famed Distant worlds event - which celebrates the music of the Final Fantasy series and its God like composer (my Uncle in the alternate realm where I am a Power ranger with an ocarina playing pet Panda named Punaynay) Nobuo Uematsu.
Uematsu's music IS Final Fantasy. Synonymous and symbolic. Uematsu and Final Fantasy can never exist without one another. Even with Uematsu having nothing to do with a Final Fantasy soundtrack, his compositions are a part of the game. His legacy shapes the soundtracks which others go on to create. And it's only when you listen to his music played live through an orchestra that you truly begin to realize just how much of an influence his music has had on not just Final Fantasy as a franchise, but your very own playing experience. Uematsu's music is not only the soundtrack to the games, but our playing experiences.
With Final Fantasy being such a large series with so many pieces of music to its name, it was a given that not everybody's wish list of tracks would be fulfilled. And that the usual suspects and most popular pieces will dominate much of the set list. Which means we got "J.E.N.O.V.A", "Aeris' theme", "Liberi Fatali", "Eyes on me" and "Zanarkand". Much of the set-list was pretty much dominated by Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII - which is what you'd expect really. So I'll give special spotlights to the pieces which stood out for me - for both reasons good and bad.
Final Fantasy VIII's Battle theme
Sounded amazing. Made me want to run home and play the game for the forth time. It's all I can say.
Liberi Fatali
The perfect way to start the concert. Hearing this live gave me chills. Such a powerful piece which never fails to move me, even 10 years on from when I first heard it. Hearing it live made me appreciate just how amazing a composer Nobuo Uematsu is. Up until the release of Final Fantasy VIII no game had featured a piece of music as grand in scale as this. There are many negative things you could say about Final Fantasy VIII, but the intro and its epicness are not one of them.

Dancing mad
Throughout the beginning section of the concert I noticed a guy sat at an organ. Me having a complete scatter brain and not always focusing on what I should be (in this case, the music) I couldn't help but fixate on him. I asked myself What the fuck is he doing here? He's not doing anything! Did he manage to bag an exclusive stage VIP seat with his wife? I cussed this little old man inside out and considered asking one of the Royal Albert hall ushers to escort him the fuck out. But four symphonic movements after him taking his seat at the organ, Arnie announced that the upcoming piece isn't a piece the orchestra are able to play everywhere, because not every venue Distant worlds visits has an organ. Enter...the relevance of the organ player. I sat with my game face on wondering exactly how relevant this organ was, but then it happened. The organ player started to play. He not only played the organ. He played the absolute shit out of that organ like his next pension payment and the life of his wife (who was on hand to turn the pages of the music sheets) depended on it. He shut me right up. He played the fuck out of "Dancing mad". I think he personally deserved a standing ovation and a rose thrown at him on stage, but nobody else seemed to think so.
Maria's theme
This song was too big and too much for the SNES. This much was clear from the very first time we all heard the 16-bit sound system struggle like fuck with this piece. It astounds me even now how my n***a Nobuo managed to get the SNES to even agree to play this shit. So to hear this performed by live vocalists and a brilliant orchestra led by an outstanding conductor was quite put simply, fucking awesome. "Maria's theme" is the archetypal Uematsu piece, because many of his subsequent compositions were drawn from this piece in some form or other. Particularly Final Fantasy VII's.
Blinded by Light
One of my favourite pieces of music from Final Fantasy is "Blinded by Light". This may be a little blasphemous, given that it isn't composed by the living legend that is Nobuo Uematsu, but I don't give a shit. The song is everything. So when it was announced that the orchestra were going to play it, I jumped out of my seat and squealed like a Chocobo.
The timpani was struck. The bass section and the cello's began to bow sharp quick notes and then the horn section came in with the melody. Everything was sounding spot on. I was on the edge of my seat in a state of near ecstasy, glee and the verge of premature ejaculation. But then it happened. The main section of the song we all know and love came in. At this point I should have had soiled underwear, but instead I was confused. Let down. Upset. A whole section of the piece was cut. The violin's could barely be heard. And that sense of energy that made the original composition so wonderfully dynamic, was completely void. I put my hand to my face; trying not to cry tears of disappointment and frustration, and make out what the fuck happened. Given how amazing and brilliantly arranged every other piece of music on the night was, I can't chalk this up to it just being a faux pas moment. So instead, I'm going to make a stretch judgment that perhaps somebody gave "Blinded by Light" a slap dash orchestral arrangement because it wasn't a piece of Uematsu's work. This is the only explanation I can give, as the original sounds orchestral as it is, so it's not like much has to really be changed and re-arranged. Yet, it was and was done so for the worst. Hamauzu Masashi got shitted on. Royally.
J.E.N.O.V.A
The one piece of music from VII I loved the most. I knew it would get played, but I wasn't truly prepared for how awesome it would sound. "J.E.N.O.V.A" orchestrated slayed my fucking life. Struck it dead. With the original version in game having more of an electronic, synth heavy arrangement as opposed to an orchestral one the sound is different. Less 80's, less dance driven, but with the same urgency and danger; made grander in scale because of an orchestra playing it. I cried. I went cold.
One of my friends and I had spoken about how we pretty much only bought tickets to hear just this. Here is our exchange of texts during the magical moment this amazing piece kicked off.

Distant worlds was a brilliant tribute to Uematsu and his musical legacy which has shaped the series of Final Fantasy. It was brilliant to hear his work as he had clearly intended for it to be heard. It's a testament to his composing skills that he was able to compose the pieces he did and keep them so rich and layered despite system limitations. Hearing pieces from Final Fantasy I - VI left many fans in awe, as it was the first time they'd heard the music in its richest form - with every note, every nuance and every instrument being played as Uematsu had probably heard it countless times in his mind before a time would come when the music could be fully realized and come truly to life with a live orchestra.
One winged angel
The famed piece from THAT Final Fantasy game. The piece of music that everybody knows, whether they've played the game or not, or have no clue who the fuck Sephiroth is. "One winged angel" has been somewhat overused and overplayed over the years, but it does nothing to detract from the magnificence of hearing it performed by a live choir and orchestra, with Uematsu himself taking a spot on the stage to sing ♪ Bear swore, he dirty. She no hair. Let me think! This ones, bare titties. See no hair, let me think. Shave it off!! ♪ The most epic and fitting way to end the night. Providing everybody with a lingering after thought of just how amazing a composer Uematsu is, in case anybody in attendance was in any form of doubt.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra did a wonderful job and Arnie Roth's conducting was spot on. Aside from that moment when I'm sure he deliberately conducted like poo for "Blinded by Light". Arnie had announced that Distant worlds would be back on November 17th and therefore, so will I.