Some fucker of a stupid arsehole son of a bitch cut up the side of my car and left me with a bumper scraping across the floor, a broken headlight and a cracked right wing. I was unable to obtain the registration of the cunt wank who had hit my beloved car which I've now Christened 'Dick'. And because the police were too busy doing fuck all to check the three CCTV cameras which were all pointing directly at the scene of the crime and I didn't want to claim on my insurance, I was left to pay for the damages out of my own pocket. On the same day I decided I was going to give H&M all of my money during my lunch break and then hand over 40 quid to GAME for a copy of Final Fantasy XIII-2.
You'd think I'd be mad at the situation, but instead I was more kicking myself. Why did I have park my car there? Why didn't I act quicker to try and get the registration of the shit bag that hit me? If only I'd left sooner! I spent more time upsetting myself and playing over what I could have done differently, rather than get angry and ask 'Why?'
I met my friends the very same night. I showed them my car and I was laughing and joking about it. They genuinely seemed more serious and concerned about the issue than me. Laughing and joking is a coping mechanism for me. As they say, If you don't laugh, you'll only cry. But I genuinely wasn't in a bad mood over it. I was alive. I was with friends. Friends who were helping me tie my bumper back to my car with string. My car was fucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. The damage was repairable. It'd cost me a lot of money, but I'm in a good job, so I can earn it back. And in the midst of all of this I realised I had gained something valuable. Something more valuable than a piece of metal on four wheels. Perspective. The one thing which allows your world to keep turning in the heart of an event that could potentially stop it. The thing that allows you to hold onto something that could slip through your fingers.
Sometimes it's hard to grasp it when life tests you. From something seemingly insignificant such as getting a bit of a fender bender, to losing your home in a fire or losing somebody you love. But it's often in these moments that you come to realisations. And that is that you still have something; as small as it may seem, which others don't. And it's that you should cling to.
It's a pretty awesome fucker of a thing perspective. It can take you a while to find it. And it's easy to lose. But it never loses its value.
You'd think I'd be mad at the situation, but instead I was more kicking myself. Why did I have park my car there? Why didn't I act quicker to try and get the registration of the shit bag that hit me? If only I'd left sooner! I spent more time upsetting myself and playing over what I could have done differently, rather than get angry and ask 'Why?'
I met my friends the very same night. I showed them my car and I was laughing and joking about it. They genuinely seemed more serious and concerned about the issue than me. Laughing and joking is a coping mechanism for me. As they say, If you don't laugh, you'll only cry. But I genuinely wasn't in a bad mood over it. I was alive. I was with friends. Friends who were helping me tie my bumper back to my car with string. My car was fucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. The damage was repairable. It'd cost me a lot of money, but I'm in a good job, so I can earn it back. And in the midst of all of this I realised I had gained something valuable. Something more valuable than a piece of metal on four wheels. Perspective. The one thing which allows your world to keep turning in the heart of an event that could potentially stop it. The thing that allows you to hold onto something that could slip through your fingers.
Sometimes it's hard to grasp it when life tests you. From something seemingly insignificant such as getting a bit of a fender bender, to losing your home in a fire or losing somebody you love. But it's often in these moments that you come to realisations. And that is that you still have something; as small as it may seem, which others don't. And it's that you should cling to.
It's a pretty awesome fucker of a thing perspective. It can take you a while to find it. And it's easy to lose. But it never loses its value.