It's been 5 years. A space of time which feels like forever, but at the same time feels like only yesterday. 5 long short years since I last visited Japan. And as of Monday, I'll be in Japan again.
My first trip to Japan was far from perfect. There were fall outs, there were conflicts it was a holiday saturated in constant differences of opinion. But it was amazing. And not even a week into our 2 long week vacation we were making pledges and swearing on Big echo karaoke books that we would visit Japan again. We would become a fellowship who visits Japan every year to every other year, with each trip being more rambunctious than the last. This was 5 years ago. A lot can happen in 5 years and a lot has changed. But one thing which has not wavered is our desire to return. Some desire to go back to Japan more than others. But we are unified in our desire to return all the same.
But after 5 years it was all beginning to seem like a dream. The sentence 'We need to go back to Japan' was feeling like a never ending mantra and becoming almost automatic. Being said for the sake of saying it. Holding onto a poignant moment in our past because we're unable to cling to anything in the future. We all wanted to go back to Japan, but when are we going to Japan?
I'm flying out there on Sunday, 12th August.
I'm flying without the friends I'd made the amazing memories with 5 years ago. I'm going at the worst time of year, with just one friend, I'm bogged down by other friends of mine expressing their disappointment of not being able to come, I'm flying out at a horrendous hour of the morning with an airline I've never heard of with a 5 hour long exchange in Italy and I hate flying. So excitement is not one of the emotions I'm feeling right now. But I am going to Japan. Just like I said I would. Even if it did take 5 years.
My first trip to Japan was far from perfect. There were fall outs, there were conflicts it was a holiday saturated in constant differences of opinion. But it was amazing. And not even a week into our 2 long week vacation we were making pledges and swearing on Big echo karaoke books that we would visit Japan again. We would become a fellowship who visits Japan every year to every other year, with each trip being more rambunctious than the last. This was 5 years ago. A lot can happen in 5 years and a lot has changed. But one thing which has not wavered is our desire to return. Some desire to go back to Japan more than others. But we are unified in our desire to return all the same.
But after 5 years it was all beginning to seem like a dream. The sentence 'We need to go back to Japan' was feeling like a never ending mantra and becoming almost automatic. Being said for the sake of saying it. Holding onto a poignant moment in our past because we're unable to cling to anything in the future. We all wanted to go back to Japan, but when are we going to Japan?
I'm flying out there on Sunday, 12th August.
I'm flying without the friends I'd made the amazing memories with 5 years ago. I'm going at the worst time of year, with just one friend, I'm bogged down by other friends of mine expressing their disappointment of not being able to come, I'm flying out at a horrendous hour of the morning with an airline I've never heard of with a 5 hour long exchange in Italy and I hate flying. So excitement is not one of the emotions I'm feeling right now. But I am going to Japan. Just like I said I would. Even if it did take 5 years.