
Having stepped off of a plane 4 hours prior, being situated in Ueno and not wanting to venture too far because I was as tired as fuck, but feeling I should go somewhere - I took a trip to Ginza.
Tokyo tour books will mention Ginza as a place to visit. But for me, Ginza is nothing special. There's nothing really distinct about it other than there are lots of tall buildings around. Lots and lots of tall buildings. 'But Japan is full of tall buildings!?' I hear your inner monologues cry. And the voice inside you is not lying. Alas, it is true. But they stand out to me most in Ginza, possibly because nothing else does. Yes. I just threw shade at Ginza.
As not to shit on the area completely, Ginza is a very nice area. It's clean, very pristine, and those who venture off of the main roads and take a wander down back roads and alleys will be rewarded with a wealth of cool eateries and hang out spots, within reasonable price ranges which you probably wouldn't expect in such an area. Because you see, Ginza is MONEYED UP! But there are many more lively places in Tokyo for you to visit which have restaurants and bars in abundance and also tall building with giant screens and lights that flash that you would never go to Ginza for these reasons alone.

As I type this I'm trying to find something distinct and notable about Ginza to warrant you going there...but I'm finding it hard. It looks nice at night...but so does 90% of Japan. There are nice restaurants, but you could close your eyes, point at a Tokyo rail map and find nice restaurants at which ever place you happened to pin your finger on.
I've been to Ginza three times in total and each time was more uneventful than the last. I've not even been to places in Japan I'd really like 3 times. How the fack did I end up in Ginza on 3 separate occasions!? If you fancy visiting a Christian Louboutin store, a Jimmy Choo, a humongous Bic camera, or a 12 floor Uniqlo, then by all means go to Ginza. Otherwise don't be too heartbroken if you return from a trip to Japan and find you had to omit Ginza from the list of places you wanted to visit. Because you won't have missed a great deal.
Tokyo tour books will mention Ginza as a place to visit. But for me, Ginza is nothing special. There's nothing really distinct about it other than there are lots of tall buildings around. Lots and lots of tall buildings. 'But Japan is full of tall buildings!?' I hear your inner monologues cry. And the voice inside you is not lying. Alas, it is true. But they stand out to me most in Ginza, possibly because nothing else does. Yes. I just threw shade at Ginza.
As not to shit on the area completely, Ginza is a very nice area. It's clean, very pristine, and those who venture off of the main roads and take a wander down back roads and alleys will be rewarded with a wealth of cool eateries and hang out spots, within reasonable price ranges which you probably wouldn't expect in such an area. Because you see, Ginza is MONEYED UP! But there are many more lively places in Tokyo for you to visit which have restaurants and bars in abundance and also tall building with giant screens and lights that flash that you would never go to Ginza for these reasons alone.

As I type this I'm trying to find something distinct and notable about Ginza to warrant you going there...but I'm finding it hard. It looks nice at night...but so does 90% of Japan. There are nice restaurants, but you could close your eyes, point at a Tokyo rail map and find nice restaurants at which ever place you happened to pin your finger on.
I've been to Ginza three times in total and each time was more uneventful than the last. I've not even been to places in Japan I'd really like 3 times. How the fack did I end up in Ginza on 3 separate occasions!? If you fancy visiting a Christian Louboutin store, a Jimmy Choo, a humongous Bic camera, or a 12 floor Uniqlo, then by all means go to Ginza. Otherwise don't be too heartbroken if you return from a trip to Japan and find you had to omit Ginza from the list of places you wanted to visit. Because you won't have missed a great deal.