
'Bioshock's ending is a mindfuck' is a term I'd heard a lot in regards to, well...the games' ending. Alongside this, all of my friends and Twitter followers who had completed the game and knew I was playing it, kept mentioning the ending. 'Gotta see that ending'. 'DAT ENDING'. 'Damn...the ending to dat game tho!'.
Despite me not wholly enjoying the entire Bioshock experience and at times wondering if I could continue on playing it - this talked up, hyped to high heaven ending is what kept me playing. I refused to give up on this game and YouTube the whole thing. Not only would it ruin the experience, but I'd clocked in too much time with the game up until this point to do that. Plus, a gamer has his pride dammit! So I mucked on. Played on. Shot lots of people. Zipped on some skyrails and then I'd arrived. At the end. And what an end it was.
I can safely say here and now that Bioshock Infinite's ending is one of the best video game endings I've seen / witnessed / experienced in a long while. It was brilliantly done, tied up the entire experience in a fulfilling way and most of all, it felt like the perfect ending for the game. It struck so many different notes and hit them all perfectly. And the one term I can use to sum up Bioshock Infinite's ending (which I can't say for most games I've played over the past few years) is wholly satisfying. I felt satisfied with the whole fucking thing. 150% satisfied. So much so that I couldn't quite believe what this game had thrown in my face and had to reload my save and watch it another 2 times. I thought it was THAT good.
How many questions the ending leaves will depend on who plays it and how much you pick up on as you play through the game. Bits of what the ending revealed I had kinda figured out or had an idea about as I was playing through. I haven't played Bioshock 1 or 2, so I don't know if there are any similarities ending wise. Or if as a result of playing those games, you would see certain plot twists coming. But Bioshock Infinite's ending was an absolute masterpiece. Not only does it leave you marvelling at what you had just experienced, but it leaves you asking questions and ends with the perfect amount of ambiguity. Not so much that you feel as though the game didn't explain enough, but just enough that you're left to draw your own conclusions.
Bioware should feel even more ashamed for that shit they pulled in Mass effect 3. And quite frankly, Final Fantasy XIII can go kill itself (something many would argue it's already done). Most games should feel ashamed really. Because Irrational games and Ken Levine just threw down the gauntlet for best, well structured, most thought provoking endings of 2013 and we're only half way through the year. I may be hyping up this ending just a tad, but I loved everything about it. It completely dissipated all of the negative thoughts I'd had about the game as I was playing it.
What a way to end a game.
Despite me not wholly enjoying the entire Bioshock experience and at times wondering if I could continue on playing it - this talked up, hyped to high heaven ending is what kept me playing. I refused to give up on this game and YouTube the whole thing. Not only would it ruin the experience, but I'd clocked in too much time with the game up until this point to do that. Plus, a gamer has his pride dammit! So I mucked on. Played on. Shot lots of people. Zipped on some skyrails and then I'd arrived. At the end. And what an end it was.
I can safely say here and now that Bioshock Infinite's ending is one of the best video game endings I've seen / witnessed / experienced in a long while. It was brilliantly done, tied up the entire experience in a fulfilling way and most of all, it felt like the perfect ending for the game. It struck so many different notes and hit them all perfectly. And the one term I can use to sum up Bioshock Infinite's ending (which I can't say for most games I've played over the past few years) is wholly satisfying. I felt satisfied with the whole fucking thing. 150% satisfied. So much so that I couldn't quite believe what this game had thrown in my face and had to reload my save and watch it another 2 times. I thought it was THAT good.
How many questions the ending leaves will depend on who plays it and how much you pick up on as you play through the game. Bits of what the ending revealed I had kinda figured out or had an idea about as I was playing through. I haven't played Bioshock 1 or 2, so I don't know if there are any similarities ending wise. Or if as a result of playing those games, you would see certain plot twists coming. But Bioshock Infinite's ending was an absolute masterpiece. Not only does it leave you marvelling at what you had just experienced, but it leaves you asking questions and ends with the perfect amount of ambiguity. Not so much that you feel as though the game didn't explain enough, but just enough that you're left to draw your own conclusions.
Bioware should feel even more ashamed for that shit they pulled in Mass effect 3. And quite frankly, Final Fantasy XIII can go kill itself (something many would argue it's already done). Most games should feel ashamed really. Because Irrational games and Ken Levine just threw down the gauntlet for best, well structured, most thought provoking endings of 2013 and we're only half way through the year. I may be hyping up this ending just a tad, but I loved everything about it. It completely dissipated all of the negative thoughts I'd had about the game as I was playing it.
What a way to end a game.