
The purpose of an Apple store is to create an experience unlike any other and I'd say Apple have nailed this. From the layout of their stores, to the staff - your overall shopping experience in an Apple store is incomparable. The experience of shopping in an Apple store can also be long winded and involve unnecessary complication of a process which would be simple in another store.
Exhibit A. Faulty iCrap.
Now, in most stores if you have a faulty product you can toddle into that store with your faulty product and your receipt and get an exchange there and then. But not in an Apple store. You have to book an appointment just to see somebody to tell you that your iWhatever is faulty. Even though the person who helped you book the appointment 2 days ago was able to see that your iThingy was clearly faulty.
My iPod nano has dead pixels all over the damn screen, I don't need a 'Genius' to tell me it's faulty. I know it's faulty. The Specialist who I had to chase half way around the store because they thought they were smart and could outrun a 6'4 black dude was able to see it's faulty. So why the hell do I have to book an appointment to have somebody else tell me that my iFlop is faulty?
It's just a case of Apple being awkward and different for the sake of being different, despite it not enriching or bettering the customer experience in any way shape or form. If Apple are really insistent on this Genius bar crap, could they not have some Genius express lane which people with obvious product faults which can be rectified with a product exchange can go to? Surely this would offer a much better customer service than making somebody book an appointment and then be told they have to come back to the store because nobody is available to see them today.
The lesson I've learnt here? Don't buy an Apple product from Apple. I should have just bought my iPod from John Lewis, Argos or Amazon.
Exhibit A. Faulty iCrap.
Now, in most stores if you have a faulty product you can toddle into that store with your faulty product and your receipt and get an exchange there and then. But not in an Apple store. You have to book an appointment just to see somebody to tell you that your iWhatever is faulty. Even though the person who helped you book the appointment 2 days ago was able to see that your iThingy was clearly faulty.
My iPod nano has dead pixels all over the damn screen, I don't need a 'Genius' to tell me it's faulty. I know it's faulty. The Specialist who I had to chase half way around the store because they thought they were smart and could outrun a 6'4 black dude was able to see it's faulty. So why the hell do I have to book an appointment to have somebody else tell me that my iFlop is faulty?
It's just a case of Apple being awkward and different for the sake of being different, despite it not enriching or bettering the customer experience in any way shape or form. If Apple are really insistent on this Genius bar crap, could they not have some Genius express lane which people with obvious product faults which can be rectified with a product exchange can go to? Surely this would offer a much better customer service than making somebody book an appointment and then be told they have to come back to the store because nobody is available to see them today.
The lesson I've learnt here? Don't buy an Apple product from Apple. I should have just bought my iPod from John Lewis, Argos or Amazon.