I saw a GIF on Tumblr (one of many) of a Zelda game which looked like Dynasty warriors. I thought it was a fan made mod. Googling indicated it was actually a thing. An official thing.
I have many conflicting feelings about this.
First off, I need to talk about those graphics. Now, I know that Nintendo give the least amount of fucks when it comes to graphical clout in comparison to Sony and Microsoft, and I should be used to this by now. Alongside this, the Dynasty warriors series has never been all that beautiful to look at. But at a time when Microsoft and Sony are plugging their 8th generation beasts with their beautiful looking games, and their 7th gen systems still pumping out amazing looking titles - Hyrule warriors should be looking a hell of a lot better. The game looks basic. A 3DS could probably run this game. Probably.
I'm going to need a moment. Because I'm trying to understand how this doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Wii U tech demo. Not even close.
The one positive thing I took away from this trailer was the music. The rock renditions of Legend of Zelda classics, well... rock! It's also great to see Link move so freely in combat and engage in such OTT attacks. Whenever Link is pimped in titles outside of the main entries into the Legend of Zelda series, he ends up looking like more of a badass than usual. Super smash bros. comes to mind, and let us never forget his appearance in Soul Calibur II.
Nintendo are helping provide a stop gap for gamers until the big console Zelda epic comes along, which is admirable. I just hope this game is more than just a Dynasty warriors re-skin, which is all this trailer seems to imply this game will be. It would be brilliant if this was a fully fleshed out game in which Nintendo and Koei use as a rare chance to let Zelda fans experience some of the crazy shit they would never necessarily get in a Zelda game. Online play with friends would also be a really good look. But we know how Nintendo feel about online play...still.
Zelda fans. Form a prayer circle around my Wind waker plushie and hope this game is good and doesn't become an Other M situation.
I have many conflicting feelings about this.
First off, I need to talk about those graphics. Now, I know that Nintendo give the least amount of fucks when it comes to graphical clout in comparison to Sony and Microsoft, and I should be used to this by now. Alongside this, the Dynasty warriors series has never been all that beautiful to look at. But at a time when Microsoft and Sony are plugging their 8th generation beasts with their beautiful looking games, and their 7th gen systems still pumping out amazing looking titles - Hyrule warriors should be looking a hell of a lot better. The game looks basic. A 3DS could probably run this game. Probably.
I'm going to need a moment. Because I'm trying to understand how this doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Wii U tech demo. Not even close.
The one positive thing I took away from this trailer was the music. The rock renditions of Legend of Zelda classics, well... rock! It's also great to see Link move so freely in combat and engage in such OTT attacks. Whenever Link is pimped in titles outside of the main entries into the Legend of Zelda series, he ends up looking like more of a badass than usual. Super smash bros. comes to mind, and let us never forget his appearance in Soul Calibur II.
Nintendo are helping provide a stop gap for gamers until the big console Zelda epic comes along, which is admirable. I just hope this game is more than just a Dynasty warriors re-skin, which is all this trailer seems to imply this game will be. It would be brilliant if this was a fully fleshed out game in which Nintendo and Koei use as a rare chance to let Zelda fans experience some of the crazy shit they would never necessarily get in a Zelda game. Online play with friends would also be a really good look. But we know how Nintendo feel about online play...still.
Zelda fans. Form a prayer circle around my Wind waker plushie and hope this game is good and doesn't become an Other M situation.